Friday, 23 March 2012

Make Your Own Coasters for Less than $1 Each!

I'm a big fan of coasters.  Not only do they protect your tables from unwanted water and beverage marks, but using them is also a fun and easy way to decorate your home!  The only downside is that nice coasters can be quite costly.  In my experience I've gotten them for about $8 a pop, which starts to get pretty expensive when you want to buy at least a dozen of them!

A few weeks ago my mom, sister-in-law and I were feeling crafty and decided to try making our own coasters.  I'm telling you, all of this time I had NO idea how fun, simple, and inexpensive it is to make your own!  I'll never buy another coaster for as along as I live!

We referred to a great tutorial online by two girls being crafty.  I would highly recommend looking at their post if you are going to mod podge your own coasters- the instructions are so detailed and easy to follow!

We started out by picking up a bunch of plain white ceramic tiles.  Nothing too fancy, just the most basic kind we could find.  Each tile cost only .22 cents.

Next, we picked out paper to mod podge onto our tiles.  I had been hanging on to some Amy Butler stationary for a while, and I decided this was the perfect time to put it to use!

We traced and cut out the paper to fit the tiles, then got our mod podge on!  First, we applied a coat of glue to the tile itself, then we laid down the paper on top and layered on another coat of glue right away.

We let all of the tiles dry for 15-20 minutes, then added a few more coats of mod podge for good measure.

After they had all dried, we glued felt to the bottoms (the last thing you want is a coaster that scratches up your furniture), then we sprayed them with a clear acrylic glossy spray for optimum shine.  Voila, check out the finished product!

I LOVE how they turned out.  I'd say they are just as cute, and just as functional as the coasters I got from Anthropology.  All in all, we figured that each coaster only cost about .60 to .80 cents to make.  That means I made 10 coasters for less than the price of one store bought coaster.  Awesome, right?

Congratulations to Jessica, our last Vacation Giveaway Winner!!  Jessica, email me your information so that we can send you guys on a much needed vacation for your anniversary!

Thanks for entering everyone!  I wish we could have given everyone who left a comment a vacation- heaven knows you all deserve one!

Posted by Andie at 4:45 PM Hide 9 Comments
Thomas(6 months ago)

Can you use a 4 x 4 inch picture on photo paper as well on the tile? Would that work?

Mary Ann(1 year ago)

What kind of glue did you use before the mod podge?

They are beautiful!

Karen(1 year ago)

I love this idea! I've seen the glass plate frames and the painted tile, but never thought of applying other thing to the tile. My mom made me an apron, mats, and oven mitts out of pretty coffee fabric. She machine embroidered every design seperate before applying them to the patterns, so this is a great way for us to use up the last few squares of fabric! I can have coasters too, yay!! Thanks :-D

Lynda(2 years ago)

Great idea to add color to your home, I have several empty frames around the house, great idea. Also with this economy, people need to start making their own gifts. Also recycle your old tile to save it from the landfill. Thanks! Love it!

Charlene Becker(2 years ago)

I love these!! I scrapbook and stamp so these are perfect to show my customers and for GIFTS!! :) Thanks for sharing! (TFS)

Christine A. (2 years ago)

Very chic & sun room-esqe of you, please send me some. Thank you.

Jackie(2 years ago)

We have done something similar and used the felt pads but also cut a circle or square in the middle of the paper (or we used fabric) and lay a very thin piece of cork in to absorb fluids. They have worked perfectly. We did some for a birthday party also (not on ceramic tiles, just pieces of cork) and used the napkins for the look to match everything. They were a big hit!

Sheldon(2 years ago)

Also you can put the round sticky felt pads on the bottom so the don't scratch your tables. Helpful hint from a Home Depot employee. They can be found in hardware on aisle 20 at our store.

Daren(2 years ago)

To protect your furniture even more you can add felt to the underneath.

Please enter the email address where notifications of new entries should be sent.

We never share this information or use it for any other purpose. See our privacy policy for more information.

Un-follow Room To Talk

Please enter the email address where the notifications are being sent to remove yourself from the list.
McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
R.C. Willey Home Furnishings, Furniture  Retail, Salt Lake City, UT Home | Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Mobile VersionBack To Top
© 2014 RC Willey Home Furnishings.
Limited Qty!