Posted by Andie on March 4, 2013
You're in the market for new family room furniture, and you're considering a sectional. This purchase is going to be a long-term investment, so you want to make sure you don't regret your decision later on. How can you be sure that you'll be happy with a sectional instead of a sofa? What it really boils down to is space, lifestyle, and personal preference.
While sofas and sectionals both have the same basic function, there are a few important differences you'll want to think about. Here are the pros and cons of sectionals as I see them- these just might help you decide if a sectional is right up your alley, or if sticking with a traditional sofa is more your style.....
- Sectionals are welcoming, inviting, and relaxing!
- They boast tons of seating.
- Ideal for a large family, entertaining lots of people, and cozy movie nights.
- Plenty of lounging, snuggling room.
- These days they come in an awesome variety of styles, fabrics, and shapes!
- Sectionals tend to feel bulkier than traditional sofas, and take up a whole lot of room (not always, but we are generalizing here).
- They are often a big commitment when it comes to room design. Most of the time they only fit one way, which makes it difficult to do much rearranging.
- They might limit you to fewer pieces of eclectic furniture in a room. (This might be a pro for some of you.)
- The seat in the corner can be awkward and annoying for guests. (Where are you supposed to put your legs??)
What did I miss? I've never actually owned a sectional, so my pros and cons are purely observational. For those of you who have sectionals, what are your pros and cons? I'd love to hear your input!