Posted by Kerry on October 17, 2015
This is how you clean a washing machine. One of the drawbacks of older front load washing machines is a lot of people have issues with a mildew smell. One way to avoid bad laundry smells is preventative maintenance. Here's how you do it.
Here's the simple way to clean your washing machine.
1. Pour 2 cups of distilled white vinegar into the liquid soap dispenser and run the cleaning cycle on hot.
2. Once the cleaning cycle is complete (ours takes 4 hours) clean the rubber seal, inside of the tub, detergent dispenser, and inner door with half vinegar/half hot water. Repeat this step with a new towel and new solution.
3. Run your washer on a cleaning cycle a 2nd time.
4. Leave the washer door open for a few hours to fully air out.
Now that you know how to clean your high-efficiency washing machine, let's talk about how to maintain it. Let me tell you upfront that you might have to do a combination of things to kill the smell.
1. Run your machine on hot as often as possible. As cool as cold water washing is, the water doesn't reach a hot enough temperature to kill bacteria. This allows buildup over time which leads to mold and mildew. If you can't do a bunch of loads on hot, just run one every once in a while.
2. After each wash, grab some paper towels and clean the folds of the rubber gasket. Water likes to collect here and mold and gunk builds up.
3. Check and clean your washing machine filter every month. Sometimes small items can collect here and it's a very moist environment, so the more you check it and clean it, the better.
4. Use high-efficiency washing detergent only. High-efficiency washing detergent breaks down easily and doesn't leave a lot of buildup.
5. Always leave the washer door open after a load. This allows the inside of the machine to air out and dry.
Front load washing machines have come a long way since their inception. RC Willey has a ton to choose from and many now do not have the same mildew issues as the original ones. Just ask a salesperson on which front load laundry is best for you!