I've been trying to decide whether to paint the red brick fireplace in our family room. I really love the traditional look of the red, but part of me thinks it could look really cool with a fresh coat of paint! Have you painted your brick fireplace? Here are a few pro's and cons to painting brick....
- It's hot in the design world right now
- It makes the entire room feel more updated and modern
- It can cover up stains on the brick that you can't get rid of
- It's PERMANENT. Once you paint brick you can never go back! Brick is super porous, and it's virtually impossible to remove paint later on.
- Painting brick is very time consuming. There are several steps (and lots of paint) involved, and unless you know what you're doing, it's really easy to mess up.
- Painted brick can be high maintenance to clean- whites or light colors actually show quite a bit of dirt!
What do you think? Do you love the look? Hate it? Here are some pretty painted brick fireplaces for reference...
Should I paint my fireplace? Or keep it as is?
I would appreciate input!