Posted by Andie on January 31, 2012
One of the most common decorating decisions people tend to make too hastily is the choice to cover up their windows. Now don't get me wrong- I'm all for pretty curtains and window treatments. In addition to being a functional investment, they can bring a lot of personality, style and vivaciousness to a room. However, often we go to painstaking lengths to simply hide some of our room's greatest assets, such as intricately designed windows, natural light, and a beautiful view of the great outdoors.
via apartment therapy
So next time you're contemplating a major curtain overhaul, take a few minutes to do a thorough examination. Ask yourself the following questions before you start splurging.....
1. Will the window treatment serve an important function in this room? If it's a bathroom or bedroom and you live in close proximity to neighbors, then curtains are probably a necessity. On the other hand, you might not necessarily need or want them in a home office or kitchen.
via design sponge
2. Will the curtains help to achieve a design element? Are they going to complete the look of the room, or just add more clutter?
you are my fave via pinterest
3. Will curtains upstage natural light or scenery? Is the view outside the window prettier than a window treatment itself? In many cases you'll find yourself answering yes.
sunshine & pearls tumblr via pinterest
4. Am I simply considering curtains because I haven't weighed all of my options? Get creative- you don't have to hang up curtains just because everyone else is doing it! What's best for you and your home?
If leaving your windows completely bare freaks you out, consider going minimal instead. There are great blinds available these days that are sleek and hardly noticeable, giving you the best of both worlds. Whatever you decide to do, try to achieve a delicate balance of natural light and decor. And now, for a little more bare window inspiration......
via apartment therapy
via desire to inspire
via design sponge
via decorpad Cohen and Hacker
P.S. Make sure you enter our Super Bowl Giveaway for a chance to win a Home-made Popcorn Maker!
Posted by Andie on January 27, 2012
When you think "Super Bowl", I would venture to guess one of three thoughts comes to mind:
1. YES. Can't wait to watch the game! I LOVE football and wouldn't miss the Super Bowl for anything!
2. Football game?? I don't even know what teams are playing.... It's ALL about the food for me!! (And maybe the commercials.)
3. Super Bowl?? Who cares? I won't be watching or attending any parties.
Where do you stand?
Personally, I fall under the "It's all about the snack table" category. For me, the Super Bowl is simply an excuse to get together with friends and family to chow down on delicious appetizers and finger foods. When it comes to my husband though, he's all about the game.
While it's easy to stereotype and say that men love the actual game, while women tend to prefer the menu planning, that is not necessarily always true. Case in point: my grandmother. She is one of the most avid football lovers around. You won't ever find her at the snack table- instead, she's always in the middle of the huddle around the television, cheering and yelling with the best of them. Gosh, I love that woman.
So, that brings me to our Super Bowl Giveaway. For the past couple of years we've given away TV's for the football watchers out there, but this year, I wanted to have a promotion for the foodies! We are going to give away 10 of these Popcorn Makers to help spice up your Super Bowl snack table!
To be eligible to win, simply become a blog follower if you aren't already, and leave a comment telling me what you think of the Super Bowl- Love the game? Love the food? Or, just don't care?
I'll be picking two random winners every afternoon from Monday, January 30th until Friday, February 3rd! Winners will be posted in the sidebar of the blog. One comment per person please- Good luck!!
P.S. For some tasty food ideas, check out all of the Super Bowl Recipes that were submitted last year!
Posted by Andie on January 20, 2012
image via healthy living for you
As a kid, one of the first things I'd yell while hurrying through the front door after a long day at school was, "What's for dinner, Mom?" It didn't even matter that we weren't going to be eating for another four hours or so. About 95% of the time, I was happy with her reply; there was only one response that I really dreaded hearing. "Soup".
Soup is the one dish that I consistently wrinkled my nose at growing up. I'm not sure when or how it happened, but now that I'm an adult, I find myself craving soup all the time. Especially during the cold winter months.
Did you know that it's "National Soup Month"? At least the horrible month of January has something going for it. So today, I'm going to share with you one of my favorite soup recipes that my mom found off a website years ago..... (Sorry for the lack of a photo- you'll just have to trust me on this one.)
Green Chile Chicken Stew
8 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 skinless chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces)
2 Bay leaves
Combine above ingredients in pan. Bring to a boil, cook for 10 minutes. Discard Bay leaves.
6 cups cubed red potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
2 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons Paprika
3 cans (4.5 oz.) chopped green chilies (I add only 2 but can add
the other can if you like it hotter)
1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies (such as Ro-Tel)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
Add to the chicken broth mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes until potatoes and carrots are done.
1 large can evaporated milk
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 lb. Velveeta cheese (cubed)
Mix cornstarch with canned milk and stir into soup mixture. Cook until almost boiling. Add Velveeta cheese and stir until melted (but don't boil). Remove from heat and Sprinkle with shredded sharp cheese for garnish.
What kind of soups have you been making this winter?
Posted by Andie on January 18, 2012
I'd like to introduce you to my new best friend. His name is iPad 2.....
I know, I know.... I'm a little late to jump on the "I love the iPad 2" band wagon.
But the point is, I've jumped on. And now I think everyone should!
You see, until recently, I subscribed to the philosophy that the iPad 2 was probably over-rated. What was the big deal anyway? I already had a Mac Book and an iPod touch- so what could an iPad possibly do for me that I didn't already have going on? And then my husband and I got one this past Christmas and my world has been rocked. In a very good way.
Here are the Top reasons I (a non-techie person) LOVE my iPad 2:
1. Amazing battery life. This little guy puts my Mac Book Computer to shame when it comes to battery life. No need to carry your charger around or worry about the device dying on you. We can watch several movies and use it literally for days before we need to re-charge it!
2. It's thin, light, and extremely portable. Gone are the days of monstrous, bulky, over-sized, technology that was so annoyingly impossible to lug around. This thing is so slick- I can throw it in my purse and forget it's there. Bonus! They also make really great, sleek fitting cases and magnetic covers that look amazing.
3. It's easy to use. As with all apple products, this thing is a dream to navigate around on. I wouldn't consider myself very tech savvy, but I got the hang of it after just a few minutes of playing around on it. Seriously, it's so simple, anyone could figure it out.
4. Beautiful picture! Honestly, it's stunning. Lately, we've been opting to watch a lot of our favorite shows on the iPad 2 over our TV not only for convenience, but we've determined that the picture quality is pretty comparable. Now that's saying something!
5. You've got thousands of amazing apps at your fingertips. We've only had our iPad 2 for a few weeks now, and I still feel l like we haven't even skimmed the surface as far as available apps go. There are thousands of incredible apps out there that cover everything from finding the hottest new restaurants in your area, to helping you learn how the human brain works. Lots of them are even free!
6. I use it ALL THE TIME. Whether it's listening to Pandora in the morning while I get ready for work, looking up recipes in the kitchen while I cook, watching netflix or you tube videos, catching up on the latest world news, getting exercise and nutrition tips, or just reading a book.... this thing makes my life so much easier!
For all of you iPad owners out there, what do you love about it? Also, what are some of your favorite apps?
P.S. Did you know that RC Willey carries iPads and a great selection of iPad accessories?
In other news, Congratulations to Aimee, our New Year's Treadmill/Elliptical Giveaway Winner!
Aimee, please email me your information at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can get you your free elliptical!
Posted by Andie on January 13, 2012
The Pantone Institute, the leading color authority in the world, recently determined "The Color of the Year" for 2012 in fashion, home decor and design. While turquoise was the color of 2010, and honeysuckle was the rage in 2011, it looks like the color forecast for 2012 is about to get a little crazy! Introducing, the Color of 2012.......
It looks like orange is in! So what does this mean exactly? Tangerine will most likely explode in women's fashion and makeup, home accessories (including pillows, bed spreads, throws, etc), small furniture, and even small appliances. Oh, and you can count on the fact that there will be scores of bridesmaids donning the orange hue this year.
Leatric Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute said of the 2012 pick, “Sophisticated but at the same time dramatic and seductive, Tangerine Tango is an orange with a lot of depth to it. Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy.”
While I've never considered orange one of my favorite colors, I'm loving the pop that it's giving these rooms....... I just might have an orange wall in my house by the end of 2012!
via marcia moore design
via apartment therapy
lonny mag via apartment therapy
Most people have pretty strong opinions about the color orange. Usually you love it, or you hate it.
Where do you stand??
Posted by Andie on January 9, 2012
No, sadly, I'm not sipping Pina Colada's on a sunny beach in Hawaii.
But you could be!
Since the holidays are officially over, it's blah yucky January, and we love our customers, RC Willey is giving away 3 Vacation packages to the lovely Koloa Landing Resort in Hawaii! Each vacation package includes airfare to Kauai, car rental, and a 6 day/7 night stay for two!
Ummmmmm, yes please?
For you eligible readers (pretty sure I'm not in the running), simply visit the Hawaiian Vacation contest page and sign up for a chance to win! The three winners will be announced on January 31st.
And now, here is a small taste of what you could be experiencing in the near future (que Hawaiian island music)......
Posted by Andie on January 4, 2012
It's January- the month of fresh beginnings! You've made your New Year's Resolutions, and this year you're more serious than ever before about following through. You've most likely thrown out all the Christmas candy, and set goals to eat healthier and spend more time at your local gym.
The only problem, is that so has EVERY SINGLE OTHER PERSON in your town. Every time you attempt to go work out at the gym, it's crowded beyond capacity with sweaty bodies, and you have to literally wait in line to even touch a machine. Sound familiar?
The stats are not good my friends. Only 75% of people with New Year's Resolutions will keep them after the first week of the year, and studies show that only about 20% of people report being "very successful" in keeping their resolutions throughout the year.
So, I'm going to try to help one of you keep your healthy workout resolutions this year. Forget fighting for a treadmill or elliptical at the gym, because I'm going to give one away to a lucky reader! Simply leave a comment (one per person) telling me if you're a treadmill or elliptical person (I'm anticipating some strong opinions here) and why you want one for your home! I'll pick a random comment on Wednesday, January 18th and the winner will have their choice of either this Pro Form 2.8HP Treadmill......
or this Pro Form 10.0 CE Elliptical......
P.S. If you don't think you can wait two whole weeks to start your home fitness regimen, check out our fitness sale! There are some pretty awesome deals for those of you who are ready to invest in some home exercise equipment!